Sunday, April 11, 2010

Smartphones saving lives?

Today, I read on gizmag.com about a new technology that would be embedded into a smartphone and could possibly detect toxic chemicals. This technology is being developed by America's Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate. The article says that the chip would cost less than a dollar and could detect toxic chemicals in its' direct vicinity. It would then alert its user to the chemical. It absolutely amazes me how we are becoming more and more reliant on our mobile devices. It is hard for me to even grasp the idea that all of this technology has emerged over the past decade. When I was little we did not even have cell phones for everyday use and now they may be able to save your life by detecting a toxic chemical. My first thought of this was carbon monoxide poisoning. While growing up, my friend's family barely escaped their house when there was a carbon monoxide leak. Due to the gas being odorless, families must rely on detectors to warn them. Although their detector was faulty, they luckily heard the hiss of the leak and contacted the fire department. Now, just by having my Blackberry sitting in my home could alert me to an emergency that I was unaware of. I cannot even imagine what other kinds of smartphone detectors this could open the door for. http://www.gizmag.com/homeland-security-cell-all-initiative/14773/

1 comment: