Sunday, March 28, 2010

Augmented Reality Windshield

GM and Carnegie Mellon have collaborated over the past 10 years and are finally making a breakthrough with the Augemented Reality Windshield. The windshield is a whole new kind of heads up display. My grandpa has a heads up display in his Grand Prix that I absolutely love. While driving, you can see your speed and any other vital information that is normally displayed in the dash. This new windshield would do things such as highlight landmarks, obstacles and road signs. The goal is to improve safety and navigation. I could see this working very well with built-in GPS. My only concern for this technology would be whether or not it would be distracting. The first time I drove my grandpa's car, I was definitely distracted by the small display. I cannot even imagine the whole windshield being a display and things lighting up. I feel that this technology would take all kinds of sensors in the car and would be very expensive. However, it could warn you when you were breaking traffic laws and of oncoming dangers. It should be interesting to see how this technology takes off. http://www.sunchips.com/healthier_planet.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment